Within the framework of the ERC project “COOLER”, we have opened two PhD positions at the Institute for Geosciences at the University of Potsdam to develop applications of high-resolution 4He/3He thermochronology and associated numerical modelling tools.
These PhD positions are funded for 3.5 years and offer an attractive research environment and strong potential concerning networking, integration into the scientific community, supervision, and cooperation with other PhD fellows and postdocs of the research unit. The main aim of the COOLER (Climatic Controls on Erosion Rates and Relief of Mountains Belts) project is to advance our understanding of the couplings between tectonic and climatic processes through the development of novel tools and numerical models that record erosion rates and relief changes with unprecedented resolution and link these to potential driving mechanisms. More information on the project can be found here: http://erc-cooler.eu.
The research project of PhD1 will focus on mapping of spatial and temporal patterns of rock exhumation in a glaciated margin setting, whereas the research project of PhD2 will address the question of how tectonic uplift rate affects glacial relief development. Detailed descriptions of the positions are available here:
- PhD1: https://www.uni-potsdam.de/fileadmin/projects/verwaltung/docs/Dezernat3/Ausschreibungen/2_akadPersonal/411_2021_Geologie_ERC_Cooler_Norway_141221.pdf
- PhD2: https://www.uni-potsdam.de/fileadmin/projects/verwaltung/docs/Dezernat3/Ausschreibungen/2_akadPersonal/412_2021_Geologie_ERC_Cooler_Mountain_141221.pdf
Required and preferred qualifications for the positions include:
- MSc in Earth Sciences or a closely related field
- Preferably some experience in thermochronology, in numerical analysis, and/or in field work in remote areas.
- good oral and written communication skills in English
- good interpersonal skills, and comfortable working in a team.
Applicants should send their application materials (including the following components: CV, names of two referees, letter of motivation, a record of academic degrees including a transcript of records) by January 31 2022 at the latest, via email to me (firstname.lastname@example.org). Don’t hesitate to contact me if you require any further information about these positions.